Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Tuesday Tutorial - Diamond Fold Card

I am excited to show you how to make the diamond fold card today.  It is so fun and different.
I saw this card on a video awhile back and cannot find the link now to give credit to the original inspiration for my card.  

Picture #1
 Start with a piece of cardstock that measures 7 1/8 by 10 1/2 inches.  My finished card is about 3 1/2 by 7 1/8 inches.  Mark along the 10 1/2 inch side at 1 3/4 inches, 3 1/2 inches, 7 inches, and 8 3/4 inches.  Score along each of those marks.
Picture #2
 Fold along the score lines as shown in the picture.  Use your bone tool to make nice crisp folds along those scores.
Picture #3
This step is optional.  But I found it helpful.  I made a mark at 1 3/4 inches at the top and bottom of my card. This will help with the next folds.  Once you begin to fold you will see that your fold really can't be any larger due to the original folds.
Picture #4
 With the card opening down begin to fold the corners to the center of the top and bottom.
Picture #5
 This is what your card base will look like after you have completed all four folds.  Again...use your bone folder to make those folds nice and sharp.
Picture #6 
 Unfold all of the folds and open your card base out flat.  You will see little triangles.  Fold these triangles down as shown here.  Once all corners are folded lay your card down flat and again use the bone folder.  This will help your card stand up nice.
Picture #7
 All of the folds are now done and you are ready to start decorating your card.
Picture #8
 I chose to use Bazzill Pine Cone brown on the front diamond and the two side flaps.  I used the front of the card as a pattern and traced with a pencil.  Then I cut along the pencil lines.
 For the side flaps the brown cardstock mat measures 6 7/8 inches by 1 5/8 inches.  The patterned paper measures 6 5/8 by 1 3/8.  I used Basic Grey Two Scoops paper for the front and K & Company paper for the two side mats. (Oh....and I chose to decorate this side of my card.  But try turning the card around to see the interesting folds on that side.  Either side could be decorated.)

I hope this tutorial inspires you to make your own Diamond Fold card.  If you do create one please come back and share your projects.  We would love to see what you make.


9 comments:

  1. Thank you for the great tutorial. I was so hoping for one after seeing your card yesterday. Guess what I am doing in my craft room today, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh....I hope you will share your creation with us. We would love to see what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful tutorial and such a great shape - not seen this before

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tutorial, love the finished card. I've put a link in my sidebar so I can find this when I'm ready to have a go, and so others can find it too. Hugs lin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shelly, I'm a little confused with the 4th picture PASSED the scoreboard picture. It looks like the top fold and the bottom folds are different from each other?
    I'll give it a try on some paper to see if I can see it hands on.
    I like the finished result, I haven't seen this one before either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah...I see what you mean. You are right. The top folds go down and the bottom folds go up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I made a card using the tutorial. Made some changes to fit my needs and it turned out great.
    Thanks Shelly...

    ReplyDelete
  8. We would love to see what you created Pat. You can email it to me and I will share it if you like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful tutorial Shelly, thank you for sharing! Take CareX:)

    ReplyDelete